International Student FAQs

Please find answers to commonly asked questions regarding international student admissions below. You can find additional information on international student admissions here: you have any questions that we have not addressed here, please contact us at iomps [at]


I am an international student. Do I need to take the TOEFL?

  • Yes, unless you received your undergraduate degree in a country where English is the predominant language. Per the International Students and Scholars Office, students who will be awarded a degree from the U.S., United Kingdom, Anglophone Africa, Anglophone Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and the Commonwealth Caribbean prior to enrolling in the University of Maryland are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS.
  • You can find more information regarding requirements here:

* Please note that, per the Graduate School, students enrolled in the IO MPS program through the Office of Extended Studies are not eligible for conditional enrollment with an English language condition. 


I have a 3-year Bachelor’s degree through my undergraduate institution. Am I eligible to apply for the program?

  • Applicants must have earned the equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree. If a four-year degree has not been earned, this requirement may be satisfied through the undergraduate school to supplement previous college-level coursework, or with a graduate-level program of at least one year. If you will be awarded a Master’s degree by the time you would begin graduate study at the University of Maryland, or your 3 year Bachelor’s degree was earned in a country with 13 years of pre-university formal education, then you are eligible for graduate study. We will also consider those with a 3 year Bachelor’s and a Post Graduate Diploma from a nationally recognized institution to be eligible.
  • If your sole qualification is a 3 year Bachelor’s from a country with 12 years of pre-university education, and your degree would not qualify you for admission to an academic graduate program in this country, then you are not eligible to apply to the Graduate School. If your 3 year Bachelor’s would qualify you for admission to academic graduate programs in the country in which it was earned, then you are welcome to submit an application which will be reviewed by the department to determine whether you are a strong enough candidate for an exception to be made.
  • For more information, please contact The Graduate School at gradschool [at]


Is the University of Maryland’s IO MPS program a STEM program?

  • The IO MPS program is currently not designated as a STEM program for Optional Practical Training (OPT) purposes. 


How should I submit my transcripts as an international student?

  • You must upload a scanned copy of all previous degree and diploma transcripts issued in the original language with a literal English translation. 
  • If you have already earned your degree but your transcript does not state that the degree was conferred, please also upload a copy of your degree certificate. 


I am an international student, and I've been admitted into the IO MPS program. What is next?

  • The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will contact you to verify your visa status and to collect the financial documents required to receive Form I-20 or DS-2019, which you will need to obtain a student visa. 
  • ISSS is also an excellent resource for international students. They are available for virtual visits or chat sessions to answer individual inquiries and host events for international students.